ByWard Tulip PARK(ing)
The Urban Tulip Experience
Pop artist, Bex, creator of the Festival’s One Tulip One Canada flag icon, brings his stylized tulip art to this city central marketplace with massive art installations on the City Parkade, interactive, artist-led creative workshops, plus, in collaboration with the ByWard Market BIA, animation throughout the streets and courtyards, and a host of merchant promotions throughout the neighborhood.
“A massive art Project in the heArt of the City! Tulips! Tulips Everywhere!!”
The Canadian Tulip Festival is excited to be launching its first annual Urban Tulip Experience… an experience like no other, an adventure around every corner! Together with the City of Ottawa, the ByWard Market BIA and many amazing local businesses, we are proud to be transforming Canada’s oldest market into a colourful garden filled with fun animations, special offers and tons of awesome photo opportunities! We will be announcing our schedule of events in the ByWard Market on Facebook and the Festival site while April is doing its thing to bring us May flowers. The centrepiece of the Urban Tulip Experience is the ByWard Tulip Park(ing), a parkade wrapped in colorful Bex Tulips. Simply head to Clarence Street, you can’t miss it! On your way, you will be enjoying planters and banners and shop windows so make some room for photos on your phone.
OFFICIAL KICK OFF BYWARD TULIP PARK(ING): Saturday May 13 12:00 Noon, William Square (corner of William and York Street)
Join us for the launch of The Urban Tulip Experience for Street Beats, Break Dancers, tulip and tulip art card giveaways, and more:
- BEX Tulip Interactive (May 13 & 14 and 20 & 21): Join Bex on the weekends from 12-5 pm for some fun for all ages! Participation, a few presents and tons of memories are what are in store. No purchases required.
- BEX Tulip Friendship Wall: Drop by Clarence Street to experience the Friendship Wall for some cool photo opportunities
- BEX Tulip Court Yard Garden: Discover the beautiful courtyards in the ByWard Market and have some fun being the artist – create your own pop-art Bex tulip park
- BEX Tulip Parkette: Look for the roving BEX street animation and pop-up BEX selfie stations where you can take your photo in a “bed” of BEX Tulips.
- 65th Anniversary Tulip Alumni Reunion (May 17th): Are you a past Festival worker/volunteer? Stay tuned for more details on the reunion event to take place at a Lowertown Brewery, where the 2017 Official Festival beer is brewed. Open to the general public. Cash bar[MG1] . Also, look for this event on Facebook.
- BEX Exhibition Salon at the Andaz Hotel (May 16): Andaz Hotel in the ByWard Market, One of the Canadian Tulip Festival’s Official Hotel Partners, has invited BEX to participate in one of their trademark Andaz Salons. While this is an invite-only event for Andaz guests and neighbors, feel free to join us on the terrace to meet the artist afterwards.
- Tulips at Inspiration Village May 20 – 21 – Presented by Ottawa 2017 – Ottawa 2017 springs into action on May 20 with its showcase of stacked shipping containers with inside-installations on York Street. BEX Tulip Interactive moves here for Victoria Weekend.
- Culinary Experience Tours: C’est Bon, one of the Festival’s Tour experience partners, will be organizing walking tours that feature participating ByWard partners during the Festival.
This year’s featured artist BEX is thrilled to be part of this urban experience: “I am so proud and happy and ecstatic to be working with the Canadian Tulip Festival on this. I live in the Market and this is just so awesome to be happening in my backyard. My tulip is an homage to my Grandpa and to my Dutch roots. But beyond that I feel the tulip represents a common, unique, and colorful beauty we all possess. Big thanks to Michel, David and Laura for letting me be their first!”
BEX will be doing a little behind-the-scenes thing on his website, his Facebook and Instagram pages…
As an official sponsor of the 65th annual Canadian Tulip Festival and in support of the Ottawa Hospital Foundation, Sterling Ford will donate $1 to the Ottawa Hospital Cancer Centre, for each tulip festival picture uploaded to our Facebook page. For more details, please visit our Facebook page or come down and see us at the Byward Market between May 12 – 22.
The ByWard Market BIA is excited to partner with the iconic Canadian Tulip Festival as they present their 2017 Program. The Urban Tulip Experience presented in the ByWard Market is a perfect complement to Ottawa’s original downtown. It’s a great way to celebrate the arrival of spring, and the beginning of a new market season. – Jasna Jenning, Executive Director