The Canadian Tulip Festival Announces Program for Special 65TH Anniversary Edition
May 12 – 22, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario: The Canadian Tulip Festival today announced a special edition of the Festival for 2017 to mark its 65th anniversary during Canada’s 150th Birthday with activities to delight all ages. A Canadian Tulip Flag – “One Tulip One Canada” will mark tulip festivity celebrations throughout the Capital.
This special 65th edition of the Festival also marks a partnership with the Canadian Garden Council to create the “Garden Promenade” as part of expansion plans to showcase and promote the Capital as a garden tourism destination – a growing segment of the tourism industry.
Featured Activities for the 2017 Special Edition
Commissioners Park Tulips – A Garden Tulip Experience
Spend some time in the tulips and enjoy live musical entertainment; watch artists at work among the tulip beds at Commissioners Park, Dow’s Lake. Take in a 1-KM explosion of over 250,000 show-stopping mass-planted tulip beds including the Queen Juliana Gift Bed and the Canada 150 tulips, the official tulip of Canada’s 150th anniversary, offered by the National Capital Commission (NCC). Interpretive signage and guided tours offer an opportunity to learn about tulips and the Capital’s flagship tulip festival.
Lansdowne Park Tulip Gallery – A Friendship, Floral and Art Tulip Experience (gated)
Aberdeen Pavilion, TD Place Stadium, the Great Lawn, and the Glebe neighbourhood comprise the primary Festival venue. Here, visitors can anticipate a showcase of events and activities including:
- Tulip Reflection, 65 tulip bouquets by local floral designers;
- Homage to Malak Karsh, a photographic exhibition Tulip Art Gallery ,65 works of art in multiple mediums by Canadian artists;
- The Friendship Village, featuring some of the Festival’s tulip friendship countries;
- School and Family Tulip Workshops, The Tulip Market, featuring juried Canadian artisans;
- Vintage Military Displays, a tribute to our veterans;
- The Friendship Stage, presenting varied music and entertainment including children’s performers and representative acts from the Festival’s Tulip Friendship countries;
- Art and floral workshops, presented by experts;
- Glebe Tulip Plaza, organized in collaboration with the Glebe Business Improvement Association (BIA) providing animation, pageantry and merchant programs along Bank Street and throughout Lansdowne Park ;
- Tulip Café, where you can have a Tulip Cookie or a Tulip Julip;
- Special Events
- Opening Night Vernissage – A Tribute to our Founders – May 12
- Mother’s Day Dutch Brunch for Bruyère Foundation – May 14
- International Friendship Floral Celebration – May 18
- Swing Dance Night- May 19
- 65th Anniversary Tulipmania Fireworks – May 21
- More to be announced.
ByWard Tulip Park(ing) – An Urban Tulip Experience sponsored by Sterling Ford
Pop artist, Bex, creator of the Festivals One Tulip One Canada flag icon, brings his stylized tulip art to this city central marketplace with massive art installations on the City Parkade, interactive, artist-led creative workshops, plus, in collaboration with the ByWard Market BIA, animation throughout the streets and courtyards, and a host of merchant promotions throughout the neighbourhood.
Tulips on the Garden Promenade – A City Tulip Tour Experience
Delight in a self-guided or escorted showcase of Ottawa’s public gardens exploding with millions of tulips in bloom from the Governor General’s residence to the Central Experimental Farm and back to Parliament Hill via Gatineau. Look for special activities in gardens such as Yoga in the Tulips.
Each Canadian Tulip Festival official site, mentioned above, will include a Tulip Info Centre sponsored by Desjardins where Ottawa residents and visitors can learn about the Canadian Tulip Festival’s 65th Anniversary celebrations, obtain detailed information about 2017 program activities, explore tour options offered by Escape Bicycle Tours and Rentals, Ottawa Walking Tours, Rideau Canal Cruise and Hop-On Hop-Off and pick up official Canadian Tulip Festival souvenirs.
“Not only is 2017 a milestone year for the Festival, it is also the year we welcome back Michel Gauthier who operated the Festival for 15 years from 1992 to 2005. Many friends of the Festival from over the years know Michel’s talent for vision and his passion for the Tulip Legacy. We congratulate him on his vision and passion to expand the Canadian Tulip Festival into a Capital garden experience for residents and visitors,” stated David Luxton, Chair of the Canadian Tulip Legacy, sponsor and supporter of the Canadian Tulip Festival.
The Canadian Tulip Festival is proud to plan its 65th Anniversary in partnerships with the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the City of Ottawa, the National Capital Commission, Ottawa Tourism, Ottawa Chamber of Commerce, Celebrate Ontario, Canadian Heritage and Ottawa 2017 along with our Friendship Embassy partners who help to offer residents and visitors a unique celebration of the tulip.
Tickets on Sale Monday March 20th, First Day of Spring
Daily admission tickets for the Canadian Tulip Festival’s Lansdowne Park Tulip Gallery go on sale Monday, March 20th at tulipfestival.ca
About the Canadian Tulip Festival
Ottawa’s award-winning flagship festival since 1953, the Canadian Tulip Festival is one of the largest events of its kind in the world celebrating Ottawa’s official flower as a symbol of international friendship and peace. The Canadian Tulip Festival is an event of the Canadian Tulip Legacy, a non-profit charitable organization established to celebrate the historic Royal gift of tulips from the Dutch to Canadians after World War II.